HERBACULTURE - Social Enterprising:
I am delighted to say that from October 2017 I shall be taking part in The Lloyds Bank Social Entrepreneurs Start Up Programme, in partnership with School for Social Entrepreneurs, and jointly funded by Big Lottery Fund.
I will be developing a vision for Sustainable Health based around communities growing herbal medicines and a social prescription gardening model. In the process of finding trustees to set up as a charity. With the help of the programme (SSE) I have a year of support to assist me to make this a reality.
- Community gardening. Designing, creating and maintaining community spaces
- Education about our bodies and mind. Short courses.
- Growing plants for food and medicine
- Connection with community
- Connection with nature
- Research & evaluation of health outcomes to assist the growing momentum in social prescribing.
- Peer support & mentoring
- Taking the herbaculture roadshow to village fetes and community celebrations.
- Making herbal medicine's taste like cocktails - at least looking like one.
- Supporting the 'plants as medicines' community with workshops and CPD opportunities
- Apprenticeship training for growing medicinal plants.
- Love to set up a GP surgery garden, which could be used for social prescribing projects?
- I am involved with a fantastic project called 'Grow Your Community - Sudbury'
- Inspired by 'Living Medicine'
- Great ideas and resources at 'Growing health'
There is a growing movement to look for solutions to our health problems, access to nature and community bonding a strong part of many projects worldwide. I will make the link to herbal medicines as a vital additional element to helping people to have healthier more fulfilling lives and to saving health services money. Herbal Medicine can be integrated medicine, assisting patients alongside orthodox medicine as good nutrition can. I am trained to be aware of the limitations of herbal medicine but I am also not shy in wanting to say how helpful they are to patients too.
MY WISH LIST: (Sept 2017)
GP practices who would be interested in prescribing 2 hours of herbaculture a week to patients. Especially those who could have community gardens on land or close to their surgeries.
A van to transport tools and plants.
Partners who share this vision of social prescribing.
Local village markets/ fetes to attend to promote my ideas. Suffolk/ Essex initially.
Patient groups who would like a fun workshop based around a herbaculture. Making a balm, a herbal walk, medicinal tonics in posh glasses, informative talks.
Any help to get this project started. Funds and advice. Eventually looking for Trustees but hoping to grow slowly with local expertise - to start with.